Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Food Stamps

Recently my mother applied to get food stamps. She is a hard working parent who supports her three children, works a full time job as a waitress, and can barely make rent tagged along with the rest of her bills. She gathered check stubs from all the members in the family who work in the household, and applied for food stamps. My mom all eager to actually get a break from her financially frustrating bills listens as the representative tells her that she is denied. Why? "Were sorry mam, but it appears that your household makes to much money." How can a single woman make to much money to support 3 kids, herself, pay all of her bills, all while working as a waitress making less than $4.00/ hour? Explanation: They put all of our taxes together as a whole. I did not agree with this, primarily because I believe that the explanation was a loop hole in the system- so that the government wouldn't have to pay nearly as much. I mean think about it from a logical sense. I work a full time job, pay for college, and support myself entirely dispensing all of my earnings toward bills, gas, and any other misc. I put absolutely nothing toward my family's income. The same rules apply to my brother who is a year younger than I. So is it fair that my earnings and his earnings are placed with my mothers earnings contributing at least twenty-four hundred dollars toward a monthly income that we don't share with our mother? I don't agree, the government makes it really hard for those who work really hard out there at minimum wage, but give money to those families who are lazy and don't work at all. 

1 comment:

  1. Ugggh, this frustrates me to know end! If you do right, it seems as though you are penalized. I went to the state once, seeking health care when I was pregnant with my first son. Mind you, I worked part time, was a full time student and a Veteran of the military. Of course, I was told no and that the only way I would qualify was if I quit my job. What?! The same system I paid taxes into, fought to protect and came to for assistance denied me because I refused to sit at home when I was perfectly able to work. I can't tell you how angry that made me. Then to basically have a hospital allow my son to die because I didn't have the proper health insurance...I feel you.

    ReplyDelete